Queries about facilitating children with single-sided (unilateral) hearing in a mainstream classroom, were recently received by Sound Advice. All the children had hearing-devices; their parents and teachers just needed information and reassurance that their classroom strategies were relevant in each case.
ASHA’s solid advice on addressing unilateral hearing at home and at school:
Parent advice when unilateral hearing issues are suspected or confirmed:
Fans of fact-sheets will welcome this advice (pdf):
Questions on this topic can be sent to us, or posted to Sound Advice’s Facebook page.
- Teacher Question: Hearing On One Side Only
- Children with unilateral hearing may struggle in school
- New School Year – A Quick Reference List
- Good Acoustics In Schools Make Learning Easier
- Preparing Kids For Mainstream Settings
- School Acoustics – By An Educational Audiologist
- Why Are Hearing Difficulties So Exhausting?